The primary focus of this organization is to raise educational funds for local youth and to preserve the rich Louisiana Mardi Gras culture. Most members are from Louisiana. Distributed annually to students between the ages of 16 and 18, the recipient(s) will possess a strong commitment to future aspirations as well as dedication to community service.
Financial need is only one of the facts that are considered in awarding scholarships. The LALA Scholarship is funded through donations and fundraising activities.
2023 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Application requirements and scholarship rules are as follows:
- STUDENT MUST BE AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN GRADUATING IN 2023 FROM A HIGH SCHOOL WITHIN A SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SCHOOL DISTRICT OR PRIVATE INSTITUTION.
- STUDENT MUST HAVE MAINTAINED A CUMULATIVE HIGH SCHOOL GRADE POINT AVERAGE OF AT LEAST 2.5.
- STUDENT MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF ENROLLMENT IN A FOUR-YEAR COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION.
- APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE A CERTIFIED COPY OF HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPTS.
- APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE A TYPED ESSAY OF 250-500 WORDS, WRITTEN BY THE STUDENT, CENTERED ON THE TOPIC: “Louisiana and Cultural Pride: What It Means To Me?” THE ESSAY SHOULD ALSO DESCRIBE THE STUDENT’S CAREER GOALS AND HOW A COLLEGE DEGREE WOULD BE USED TO ACHIEVE THOSE GOALS.
- STUDENT MUST PROVIDE A DESCRIPTION OF EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES, AWARDS, COMMUNITY SERVICE, AND OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS.
- APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE A LIST OF COLLEGES OR UNIVERSITIES TO WHICH THE STUDENT HAS APPLIED OR INTENDS TO APPLY. PROOF OF SUBSEQUENT ENROLLMENT WILL BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO THE AWARD OF A SCHOLARSHIP.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION MUST ACCOMPANY APPLICATION: ONE FROM A TEACHER OR, OTHER SCHOOL PERSONNEL, AND ONE FROM AN ADULT (NON-RELATIVE) NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE APPLICANT’S SCHOOL.
- FINALISTS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERSONAL INTERVIEW. FINALISTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF TIME AND LOCATION.
- STUDENT IS ASKED TO PROVIDE A RECENT BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPH (PREFEREABLY), NO LARGER THAN 5 X 7 AND SUITABLE FOR PUBLICITY PURPOSES.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2023
Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered
For additional information, contact Kim Collins at (310) 527-1693 or Queenkim2u@gmail.com.
Enclose all required materials and mail to:
Louisiana to Los Angeles Organizing Committee, Inc.
c/o Kim Collins, Youth Scholarship Program Chair
9461 La Salle Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90047
The Louisiana to Los Angeles Organizing Committee (LA LA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit membership organization. Contributions to the LA LA Youth Scholarship Fund are greatly appreciated and may be sent to: Louisiana to Los Angeles Organizing Committee, Inc, P.O. Box 561193, Los Angeles, CA 90056, Attn: Youth Scholarship Program.